This week’s roundup has everything to do with the internet. From coupons to videos the way retailers are reaching online customers is ever changing. The possibilities of expanding your business and profits through the internet are virtually endless if you have the right tools and knowledge. Here are a few ideas to help you evolve as an online retailer.
1. Drugstore.com reports big uptick in online coupon usage – Drugstore.com states that the number of online orders coming from customers searching for bargains is up over 90% this year. They are experiencing a dramatic increase of more than 75% of visitors on their coupon and clearance pages.
This article is great inspiration for improving profits and attaining loyal customers. Perhaps you could offer a few online coupons or a weekend clearance sale to drive visitors to your site. You could gain a whole new loyal customer base.
2. Retail Has Changed Forever – A very interesting article that talks about the retail industry splitting into three parts companies that compete on price, companies that compete on uniqueness and companies that just can’t compete. It goes on to say that the comparison shopping is made easy with the internet making it hard for some companies to compete such as Circuit City who recently closed their doors.
The article gives some great tips on competing through uniqueness to differentiate your business. Of course the obvious one is to offer unique products but it also discusses value added services and customer experience.
3. The Top 7 Mistakes Small Retailers Make On-line – James Dobson, Internet Consultant goes over the top 7 mistakes that small retailers make online that can hurt their sales and business. This is a must read for any online retailer even if you think your doing great. Don’t be disappointed by your online efforts take these tips from James and implement them immediately to see proven results.
This article will help you with marketing, naming, customer service, order fulfillment and so much more. Learn the top seven key parts to being a successful online retailer.
4. Sprint to Offer Mobile 3G Wi-Fi Device – The way that you conduct business outside of the office could change forever with the announcement of Sprints new Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 intelligent mobile hotspot device. The device will connect to Sprints 3G network and add up to five wi-fi enabled devices.
This is an important move ahead technology for small retailers that want to offer products outside their traditional stores such as a flea market or community event. Sprint give the following example: Portable retail: Five vendors at a local art fair have kiosks in close proximity. Accessing one MiFi 2200 device signal, they each run a credit card point-of-sale device over WiFi and have secure backhaul.
Read our Review of the Sprint Novatel Wireless MiFi 2000.
5. Small retailers report success with online video – This is a small article with a BIG idea! What a great way to market your business or products, using video hosting services to get your message out. In a recent survey by vzaar a diamond retailer saw a 65% sales increase in four months after adding video reviews. If you’re looking to increase awareness and sales of your business this gives you great insight to video marketing.